With P790, TaylorMade’s engineers have answered the challenge of creating a forged iron that delivers remarkable distance and playability combined with remarkable feel in a medium-compact head design with a thinner topline and reduced offset preferred by discerning players. This was accomplished by incorporating technologies that improve on feel, sound and consistency while delivering significant distance. The P790 features a soft, 8620 carbon steel body combined with a high-strength forged 4140 carbon steel WrapFace in a hollow body design.
The P790’s hollow cavity incorporates SpeedFoam Technology, a new proprietary construction which serves a dual purpose of generating ball speed as well as the management of sound and feel. Injected into the clubhead, SpeedFoam provides the face support and damping properties that make the performance of the P790 unlike any other iron in the TaylorMade family. The incorporation of the WrapFace construction creates a cut-thru Speed Pocket on the sole with extreme flexibility in the lower part of the clubface; it’s this flexibility which creates greater forgiveness and consistency than is typically seen in a distance iron design.
The P790 also features an ultra-thin 1.75mm face thickness with re-engineered Inverted Cone Technology optimized for the slightly smaller face area. Whereas the company’s previous ICT which had a larger, heavier profile, the new, smaller Inverted Cone allows for reduced face thickness at the edges of the face, thus increasing flexibility from heel to toe and low on the clubface, resulting in more ball speed across the entire face.
For forgiveness and playability, P790 irons feature strategically placed internal metal-injection-molded (MIM) tungsten weighting for precise CG placement and higher moment of inertia (MOI).
UNPRECEDENTED DISTANCE IN A FORGED IRON
- 4140 Forged Carbon Steel
- SpeedFoam pushes the limit of COR for groundbreaking distance in a forged iron
- Ultra-thin 1.75mm face thickness with mini-ICT
- High-strength forged 4140 carbon steel, wrapped face construction, and soft carbon steel body
LOOK AND FEEL OF A PLAYERS IRON
- SpeedFoam is resilient at impact to produce soft feel and responsive feedback
- Refined shaping featuring a straighter topline, shallower face, and progressive offset
- Elegantly crafted design including minimalistic cosmetic details and a clean, satin scratch finish
FORGIVENESS & PLAYABILITY
- Strategically placed tungsten weighting to increase inertia throughout the set
- Ultra-thin internal leading edge with cut-thru Speed Pocket for low-face forgiveness
- Hollow contruction allows for optimal weight placement
- Shaft: Graphite UST Recoil 780 ES (F4-Sti ), 760 ES (F3-Regular, F2-Senior) w/Smac-Wrap
- Grip: Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 0.580 52g Gray/Black